Welcome to our class page! We hope you enjoy reading about our wonderful learning, exciting activities and amazing achievements. Please keep visiting weekly to find out important information about homework and the latest news on our noticeboard which you can find here.
At Thorn Grove Nursery, we have two classes which attend for 2.5 days each week. These are split into Beginning of Week (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday AM) and End of Week (Wednesday PM, Thursday and Friday). We take a maximum of 24 children in each class and generally have two admission intakes each academic year in September and January.
This year we are trialling the offer of 30 Hours of government-funded provision (a full week Monday-Friday) to children whose parents are eligible for this. We currently have a small number of children who have taken up these hours. If you are interested, see the school Admissions page under the ‘Our School’ tab or click here for more information. Please be aware that the number of 30-hour places we are able to offer is limited.
In the Nursery, the aim is for the children to learn through play and exploring the environment. The day is well structured and the children quickly get used to a daily routine. For most of their ‘learning time’ children can play indoors or outdoors and access activities that support their development in the seven areas of learning, either independently or in a focused activity with an adult. During the children’s independent learning time, adults in the Nursery carry out observations on the children to document their everyday successes and progress. These observations are shared with parents on a half-termly basis via a system called 2 Build a Profile. The children also have short sessions of carpet time throughout the day, where they learn about stories and celebrations, numbers and phonics through adult-led input.
STAR OF THE WEEK
THIS WEEK’S SHOW STOPPER
This week’s Showstoppers are: The whole Beginning of Week group / Lilah Clarke / Scarlett Shingler. See all of their fantastic work by clicking here: http://www.thorngroveprimary.co.uk/nursery-showstopper-09-02-18/
Miss Freebairn would like the Nursery children to:
- Settle in! Our priority at this stage of the year is for the children to be happy to come to Nursery each morning, make friends and begin to learn all the rules and routines of Nursery life. So far the children are doing an excellent job of this.
- Bring in a family photograph or two. For our ‘All About Me’ topic, we have been focusing heavily on learning about our family members and who we share our homes with. Family photos will help to prompt conversation about who is who, and we are now displaying the children’s photos on their Working Walls – so that a familiar face is always in sight.
- Bring in an Autumn leaf – the biggest you can find! We are beginning to look at the changes that are happening as we move into Autumn. We have been talking about the changes in weather and how the leaves are changing colour. We would love to see what kind of Autumn leaf you might find near your home.
- Read, read, read! Parents, we cannot emphasise the importance of reading enough! We ask that you read regularly with your children and promote their love of stories and tales. From October half term, we will be sending home weekly ‘library books’ from our class book box.
UPDATES FOR PARENTS
- Nursery children now do P.E. – Monday mornings for Beginning of Week children and Friday afternoons for End of Week children. Please ensure that children come to school wearing TRAINERS or other suitable footwear (e.g. pumps, and not wellington boots or sandals)
- This half-term we are focusing on the topic “People Who Help Us” – doctors, nurses, vets, dentists, police officers, fire fighters and more! We will be learning all about what it means to be kind and helpful. If you as a parent do any of these jobs then please let us know and we may be able to find a way for you to come and talk to the children about your helpful job. Thank you!
- A reminder about contributions to the £1 per week Nursery resource fund – we have had a few people already bring in £6 for the half-term ahead so we would like to thank those generous parents.
- WEATHER WARNING: Whilst we are experiencing the extremely cold and snowy weather, please ensure your child has a thick and warm winter coat as well as named wellington boots and hats, coats, gloves. We try to get outside in all weathers as much as possible and some of the children have mentioned that they are too cold when we are outside which means we are having to cut outdoor playtimes short.
- Parents evening is coming up towards the end of this half-term. Keep an eye out for the letter regarding dates, times, and how to arrange your time slot to see Miss Freebairn.
- If there is anything on your mind that you would like to ask or let us know, please pop in and see Miss Freebairn! For school dinner menus, important dates and other key information, see the Parent Noticeboard in the cloakroom area outside the Nursery classroom.