Welcome to our class page! We hope you enjoy reading about our wonderful learning, exciting activities and amazing achievements. Please keep visiting weekly to find out important information about homework and the latest news on our noticeboard which you can find here.
At Thorn Grove Nursery, we have two classes which attend for 2.5 days each week. These are split into Beginning of Week (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday AM) and End of Week (Wednesday PM, Thursday and Friday). We take a maximum of 24 children in each class and generally have two admission intakes each academic year in September and January.
Since September 2017, we now offer 30 Hours of government-funded provision (a full week Monday-Friday) to children whose parents are eligible. We currently have a small number of children who have taken up these hours. If you are interested, see the school Admissions page under the ‘Our School’ tab or click here for more information. Please be aware that the number of 30-hour places we are able to offer is limited.
In the Nursery, the aim is for the children to learn through play and exploring the environment. The day is well structured and the children quickly get used to a daily routine. For most of their ‘learning time’ children can play indoors or outdoors and access activities that support their development in the seven areas of learning, either independently or in a focused activity with an adult. During the children’s independent learning time, adults in the Nursery carry out observations on the children to document their everyday successes and progress. These observations are shared with parents on a half-termly basis via a system called 2 Build a Profile. The children also have short sessions of carpet time throughout the day, where they learn about stories and celebrations, numbers and phonics through adult-led input.
STAR OF THE WEEK
THIS WEEK’S SHOW STOPPER
This week’s Showstopper is: Theo
- Autumn 1 Newsletter – Click here
- Autumn 2 Newsletter – Click here
- Spring 1 Newsletter – Click here
- Spring 2 Newsletter – Click here
- Summer 1 Newsletter – Click here
Nursery Homework - Click Here:
Nursery Homework - Click Here:
Miss Freebairn would like the Nursery children to:
- Enjoy books! Your child’s reading book will be sent home on a Monday or a Friday. Spend time with your child so that they can read their book several times throughout the week and ensure they have their book bag in school on the correct day.
- Practise telling a story from one of our story maps. Children have been sent home with story maps that we have produced together as a class. These are visual prompts to help children verbally tell stories that they know well. Find a list of our story maps here.
UPDATES FOR PARENTS
- Read about our fantastic day out to Imagine That on the 20th March: click here
- All Nursery children should have a pair of wellies in school. There is a box for you to place these in the Nursery cloak room. Please ensure all wellies, along with coats and all items of clothing, are clearly named.
- As the weather warms up it may be necessary for Nursery children to wear sunhats and sun cream at school. Please ensure sunhats are clearly names. If you are able to apply an all-day sun cream to your child before they arrive at school, this minimises the time that Nursery staff need to spend applying cream before going out. If you do need us to top up your child’s sun cream throughout the day you must provide written consent for us to do so.
- Voluntary contributions to our Nursery Resource Fund of £6 per half-term are gratefully accepted. This fund covers the costs of play dough ingredients, baking ingredients as well as being used to recover any general wear and tear of resources – we have had a few people already bring in £6 for the half-term ahead so we would like to thank those generous parents.
- Children in the Nursery now take part in weekly PE sessions. These are on a Tuesday for Beginning of Week and 30 hour children. Please send your child to school wearing trainers and appropriate clothing on these days. These sessions may be outdoors when the weather is suitable.
- End of Week children will continue to take part in FOREST SCHOOL Sessions throughout the Summer term on a Thursday afternoon. Please ensure your child has warm, waterproof outer layers and wellington boots or walking boots. If you are available on a Thursday afternoon and would like to support as a Forest School volunteer, then please speak to Miss Freebairn. Click here to view the Forest School Handbook.
- Miss Freebairn is the designated Key Worker for all children in Nursery. If you have any questions or queries, please speak to Miss Freebairn or to Mrs Yates who would be happy to pass on to Miss Freebairn if necessary. For school dinner menus, important dates and other key information, see the Parent Noticeboard in the cloakroom area outside the Nursery classroom.